Hi there. My name is Maggie. I am continuously cultivating my life-long love of writing, reading and general wordiness. I am from Ohio but now live in Texas with my partner, Todd (I feel too old to use the word “boyfriend”), our Border Collie, Willa, and our hedgehog, Ramona. You will eventually see all of those characters featured in various images here-and-there on this blog. I am one of “those” people who refers to herself as the “mom” of her pets.
Me, March 2018.
The Straight Facts:
- I have a FT job working with a sex offender population. I have been working with sex offenders for about 8 years now. Todd says working with sex offenders is my “jam.” I’m afraid he’s right. I attended a friend’s wedding shower in 2016 and one of the guests I met there said what I do is “a calling.” I had never thought of it that way and never thought of myself as having a calling. I figure working with sex offenders is difficult enough that it should mean something that it is what I want to do.
- I can sometimes be found at a local strength & conditioning gym treating my body right and reminding myself what this body can do.
- I am a proud, card-carrying Introvert (I don’t really have a card).
- I need to get more piercings – and maybe a tattoo.
- I believe I read a lot, but I rarely read new releases or current best-sellers. I am usually behind the times. The only Gillian Flynn book I haven’t read is Gone Girl. Seriously. I even read The Grown Up.
- I read a lot about serial killers, sex offenders, sex crimes, criminal thinking, murder. I also like to read psychological thrillers, general fiction and comedy. Christopher Moore is my favorite author.
- Hannibal Lecter is my favorite fictional character.
- I like horror films and comedies. To be fair, I will watch almost anything and have been pleasantly surprised by some films I initially resisted, such as Interstellar and Saturday Night Fever.
- This blog may sometimes feature a movie review.
- I do not believe that any victory is too small to be celebrated
- Made it to work on time? Way to go!
- Made it to the gym after work? You are unstoppable!
- Folded and put away all the laundry? Hi-5!
- Finished a blog post and posted it to be shared with the public? Watch out, world!
- I like music. Cold War Kids is my favorite band. I mostly like rock music. My taste is varied, but not anything to write home about.
- One of my biggest pet peeves is when a person states that s/he is weird/mysterious/unusual/different/difficult to understand/etc. Whatever you are, those around you will figure it out in time.
- If/When I feel scared watching a movie, I will avert my eyes from the screen, look straight down or cover my eyes. I want to watch the scary movie, but I don’t want to be startled.
- I believe that if I am ever brave enough to hand-feed a shark, I will be convinced that I can do anything (I have a curious love-hate relationship with sharks).
- In January 2018, I became a PT grad. student after being accepted into Angelo State University’s MS Counseling Psychology program.
- I met Dr. Eric W. Hickey!
Celebrity Crush: Jason Bateman.
Favorite Podcast: The Last Podcast on The Left (not for the faint of heart); Atlanta Monster.
Desert Island Foods: Honeycrisp Apples, PB&J Sammiches, breakfast foods.
To Be Watched (Netflix):
I Am Jane Doe; The Keepers; Call Me Lucky; Experimenter; Attacking the Devil; A Girl Like Her; No Country For Old Men; Holy Hell; The Confessions of Thomas Quick; The Witness; Boyhood; Colonia; Frailty; Tower; 13 Reasons Why; H.H. Holmes: America’s First Serial Killer; Audrie & Daisy; The Hunting Ground; The Real Texas Chainsaw Massacre; Lost for Life; Night Will Fall; The Confession Tapes; The Ritual; Wormwood; Ozark; Creep 2; Silent Hill; Liberated: The New Sexual Revolution; Dr. Feelgood; Let There Be Light; 6 Souls; Who Took Johnny; The End of The Fucking World, etc..
To Be Watched (hulu):
The Handmaid’s Tale; Bob’s Burgers; American Meth; Deep Web; 11.22.63; Free to Run; The Path; Unsolved Mysteries; The Empowerment Project, etc..
Anticipated Cinematic Adventures: All Eyez on Me; Flatliners; The Beguiled; Isle of Dogs; Game Night; Love, Simon; Mother!; It: Chapter Two; The Secret of Marrowbone.
Sign up HERE to Join the Adventure — you will receive email notification of all new posts to Common Adventure, and I will be ridiculously grateful to you.